UPDATE, 3/24/14: The Livable Memphis Program Manager position has been filled. Thanks for your interest.
Community Development Council of Greater Memphis
Position Description - Livable Memphis Program Manager
Community Development Council of Greater Memphis (CD Council) is a coalition of organizations and individuals who support the development and redevelopment of safe, healthy, and attractive neighborhoods throughout the Memphis region. CD Council is seeking a full-time manager to implement and execute the wide variety of projects, programs and activities within the organization's Livable Memphis program.
The CD Council team works intimately with one another in a dynamic, close-knit environment. We seek a seasoned colleague who will blend with, and bolster, our existing relationships. Building on our existing strengths, our ideal candidate would:
- Work quickly to meet immediate needs while balancing longer term projects and goals;
- Work independently, yet be responsive to the needs of the executive director and staff;
- Be a creative problem-solver with a high standard of quality;
- Be detailed-oriented and highly organized in order to fully implement the Livable Memphis program work plan and strategies;
- Have a passion for neighborhoods and supporting the people working to make them great.
1. Oversee and implement all Livable Memphis programming, projects and initiatives, supported by other CD Council staff:
- Planning efforts like our Complete Streets initiative and Design Manual, Street Network Regulating Plan, Comprehensive Plan initiative;
- Educational Workshops like our REAL Places curriculum for high school students , annual Summit, Pizza with Planners series, films, etc;
- Walk Bike Memphis initiative including relationship building, policy issues, and education;
- Neighborhood capacity building including education, tactical urbanism and creative placemaking;
- Transportation issues including advocacy efforts regarding public transportation and public investment in transportation infrastructure;
- Assist with Hampline final design and construction.
2. Grant research, writing and management. The Livable Memphis program is primarily funded through grants. The Program Manager is responsible for completing the requirements for currents grants as well as pursuing new grants to support the work of the organization.
3. Grow existing programs. Research and develop new program areas. The Program Manager is always thinking creatively on ways to grow and leverage the work we do. In addition to the gratifying work of seeing existing programming to fruition, the exciting evolution of best practices in neighborhood based revitalization efforts is inspirational. Working as team with CD Council staff, the Program Manager helps guide the direction of Livable Memphis programming.
4. Represent Livable Memphis in the community. Build and grow partnerships and think creatively about potential for collaboration. The Program Manager designs and delivers presentations; speaks up at public input opportunities; and communicates with community members, city officials, business partners and consultants.
5. Maximize outreach and communications. The Program Manager grows social media presence; facilitates the best use of communication tools and database; and delivers annual appeals, newsletters, white papers and policy reports.
6. Oversee staff, interns and volunteers. The Program Manager works closely with the program coordinator, program assistant, independent contractors and consultants, and interns to ensure the implementation of the organizational workplan.
7. Work with the executive director and other staff to implement the organization's policy and advocacy programs. Focusing on transportation, land use, blight elimination, and neighborhood redevelopment, the Program Manager conducts research, drafts position papers, develops action strategies, etc.
8. Further the work of the Community Development Council. The Program Manager serves as a resource to CD Council members. Additionally, the Program Manager is continuously thinking of ways to connect the work of Livable Memphis to that being done by member community development corporations and organizations.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. Comfort speaking with a wide variety of partners.
- Grant writing and management of multiple grants simultaneously is a must.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the field.
- Proficiency in typical office computer hardware and software required. Must be comfortable learning and using new technology. Regular use of social media.
- Comfortable working with a wide range of individuals - including grassroots leaders, funders, and elected officials - as well as in a variety of neighborhoods types.
- Knowledge of urban planning/development and neighborhood revitalization issues desirable. Interest in public policy is a plus.
- Energetic and enthusiastic attitude.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
This individual will report to the CD Council Executive Director.
$45,000 per year plus health and benefits allowance.
Interested candidates should send their resume accompanied by a cover letter to email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.