2017 Public Policy and Advocacy Priorities
Community Development Council and Livable Memphis work with our members to support the revitalization of Memphis neighborhoods through public policy and advocacy,organizational capacity building, and community education. Among our overarching goals are to:
- Accelerate the redevelopment of vacant and abandoned properties
- Increase resources to support the revitalization of Memphis neighborhoods
- Promote land use and transportation policies that will guide equitable infrastructure investments and increase the livability of neighborhoods.
Our 2017 Public Policy and Advocacy Platform
- Support efforts to reclaim and redevelop blighted properties, such as mechanisms to clear back taxes when they exceed the market value and state legislation to fast-track their tax foreclosure under certain conditions.
- Work with the city on a process to stabilize targeted vacant properties so they can be preserved for future development. Expand the city’s “clean and board up” mandate to include minor repairs that would improve a building’s future viability.
- Promote policies – such as property tax waivers and freezes – to incentivize infill and redevelopment in targeted areas.
- Identify and support ways to support expanded use of the tax increment financing (TIF) tool, to support neighborhood redevelopment.
- Support the creation of new local funding for neighborhood revitalization, such as an affordable housing trust fund or an allocation in the city budget.
- Work with local lenders to develop mortgage products for purchases under $50,000, to increase homeownership in all Memphis neighborhoods.
- Advocate for transportation system investments and improvements – transit, bike,pedestrian – especially those that will better connect neighborhoods to employment and education centers.
Click here to download the CD Council & Livable Memphis 2017 Policy Platform.